For readers in the Puget Sound area: all our local community colleges have parent education programs which offer fabulous, developmentally appropriate, play-based learning for kids and support and education for parents.
Although most are school-year-long programs, some will add new sessions in January. And almost all will add more kids to existing programs IF there’s space available. So, if you’re interested, call the program registrar and see what your options are!
I know in the Bellevue College system, in January we will add:
- Tuesday evening class for Infants and Wobblers
- Wednesday afternoon class for Infants
- Friday morning class for toddlers (age 15 months – 27 months on January 1). I’ll be the parent educator for this one.
I also know I will have a small handful of spaces in each of my other classes:
Come join us!
I have some spaces available in my class, from now through early June. We are a first year toddler program for children born between September 2011 and August 2012. We meet just north of downtown Bellevue on Thursdays from 9:30 – 11:30. There are also spaces available in some other classes in the program: To sign up, go to: www.bellevuecollege.edu/parented/2013-2014-class-schedule/
We are also now registering for the 2014 – 2015 school year. (We have lots of open houses next week if you’d like a chance to check things out.) All of our programs share key components:
- play-based learning for the kids based on brain research that shows children learn best through hands-on play in environments where they are relaxed and happy and encouraged to explore
- circle times led by our fabulous children’s teachers, filled with developmentally appropriate songs, rhymes, stories, and active games
- parent involvement – at every level from infant classes to cooperative preschools to enrichment programs for 5 – 7 year olds, parents are involved, active participants in the classroom
- parent education – our college faculty present lectures and facilitate discussion on topics from emotional development to discipline to early learning and nutrition – all the topics parents care most about
In other news from our program: this weekend is our Healthy Kids, Healthy Family Fair, with exhibitors, free consultations with parent educators, mini seminars, and lots of great hands-on activities for your children! It is open to anyone. Learn more here: http://bcparents.org/Healthy_Kids_Event.html
Learn more about the parent education programs and cooperative preschools at Bellevue College and other community colleges by clicking here.