In Chapman’s Five Love Languages, he describes how different individuals have different “languages” they use to express love, and that we “hear” love best when it’s spoken in our language. Which one of these sounds most like how your partner hears love from you?
- Physical Touch: Feels most loved when you touch him/her: stroke her hair, hold hands, massage, rub her feet, hugging, kissing, sex. Feels most rejected when touch is missing (or if touch is used in anger).
- Words of Affirmation: Encouragement and praise are vital. Being acknowledged for work, appreciated for who s/he is, validated for concerns, cheered on for efforts. May be very sensitive to criticism.
- Acts of Service: Wants active support with household tasks, like laundry, washing dishes, running errands, making a to-do list together and taking on jobs. Feels unsupported when you don’t pitch in.
- Gifts: Loves any special little thing done just for him/her. Little notes left around the house, something special from the grocery store, pictures of the baby texted during the day. Will be especially upset if you forget a birthday, anniversary or other gift-giving occasion.
- Quality Time: Wants your Presence: time together, spent talking and connecting, doing activities together. Feels unsupported if you’re off buying gifts or doing tasks instead of spending time with him/her.
Discuss this with your partner. Are you right about what his/her language is? What does s/he think is your language? Sometimes couples discover that if one is feeling unloved, it’s not that their partner wasn’t trying to communicate love, it’s just that s/he was shouting a lot in the wrong language.
(Note: I also wrote a 5 question love languages quiz you can take. Or you can take Chapman’s 30 question quiz here)
Read what other bloggers say about Love Languages:
One person’s experience with how the love languages work in reality on INFP blog
Applying love languages to relationship with your child on GoodTherapy.org
To see all my posts on relationship skills, click here.
- Touch (holding hands): Adam Foster | Codefor via photopin cc
- Words of affirmation (you rock): Caro Wallis via photopin cc
- Acts of service (laundry, yard work): Meanest Indian via photopin cc
- Gifts: stevendepolo via photopin cc
- Quality Time (on the beach): DaveCrosby via photopin cc