About this blog:
On this site, you’ll find ideas you can use to make parenting your toddler or preschooler more manageable and more enjoyable!
- Research-based information: about child development, play-based learning, managing daily life, and parenting skills that help you become the parent you want to be.
- Resources for parents: links to great articles on a wide variety of topics, lots of songs, books and activity ideas for little ones, plus info about Seattle-area services for families.
- Resources for parent educators: lots of class handouts and classroom materials, ready to print and share with your students.
- Realistic recommendations: It’s easy for parents to feel pressured, feeling like they have to “do it right” every day, or their child will be ruined for life. From my perspective after 25 years of parenting my kids, and 20 years as a parent educator, I know that we all have moments when we are the fabulous perfect parent and we all have moments where we’re truly crappy parents. We can only hope that in the long run, our kids can say that there were more good days than bad days. I’m here to share a little advice, support, and reassurance to help you have more good days.
My name is Janelle Durham. I am a:
- social worker (MSW from University of Washington)
- childbirth educator for Great Starts program at Parent Trust for Washington Children
- parent educator for the Bellevue College Parent Education Program. (We offer classes for children aged 0 – 7 in Bellevue, Carnation, Issaquah, Mercer Island, Renton, Sammamish, and Snoqualmie WA. I teach the First Year Toddlers in North Bellevue and Family Inventors’ Lab.)
- author: co-author of Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn and Simple Guide to Having a Baby). Author of these websites: Transition to Parenthood (about pregnancy and birth and resources for childbirth educators), More Good Days with Babies (about breastfeeding, newborn care, and other topics relevant to the first 6 months), and Inventors of Tomorrow – STEM activities for ages 3 – 7.
- facilitator for new parent support groups with PEPS – the Program for Early Parent Support
- curriculum designer
- not perfect parent to a 25 year old boy, 21 year old girl, and 8 year old boy.
Learn more about me at www.janelledurham.com
On Pinterest, you can find links to lots of great activities for kids birth to 5 years old at www.pinterest.com/bcparented/.
Note: This is my personal blog, not an official publication of any of my employers. I take responsibility for all content.